Meet the Voices behind this domain.
Sports Domain Voices
General Manager, Kansas City Royals
Former KC Chief, Chief Ambassadors President
Professional Development, Kansas City Royals
Leadership Development Director, KC Royals
Executive Director, MLB Urban Youth Academy
Minor League Hitting Instructor, Kansas City Royals
Executive Director, Freedom Hoops
Chiefs Chaplain, Hope Center KC
President/CEO, Greater Kansas City Sports Commission & Foundation
Chaplain, Kansas City Royals; Vice President, National Christian Foundation – Heartland
Athletics Director, UMKC
Executive Assistant to the GM, Kansas City Royals
Founder and CEO, Kansas City Sports Academy; Coach, Lincoln Prep Football
14-year NFL Player, 6-year NFL Coach, Chiefs/Texans
COO, Sporting Kansas City
Founder/Director, TOCA City KCK
Senior Director of Baseball
Operations, Kansas City Royals
Director of Athletics, Baker University
The Mission of the Sports Domain
Kansas City area sports leaders will unite for societal transformation, striving to abolish attitudes and practices that have blocked minorities access to opportunity and embedded prejudice into the fabric of the Greater Kansas City community. We will stand shoulder to shoulder, transforming this racial legacy remaining before us, one step at a time.
Covenant of Racial Healing for Sports
Whereas as members of the sports community, as US citizens, and as Greater Kansas City residents – we mourn the current state of race relations. We lament we haven’t led our community in addressing racial issues. The fruits of our present grew from the roots of our past and these realities cannot be ignored nor dismissed. Yet neither should they stop us from moving to higher ground.
Whereas the sports community has fallen into the trap of not pursuing a vision of development through sport and has sometimes failed to embrace our unique differences, the time has now come to lead with humility, celebrate the great diversity of talent in our community, and create opportunities within Kansas City sports for all to succeed.
Now, therefore, by my signature, I commit to:
- Unify sports operating as a community in covenant with each organization/coach/parent/player using their resources and skills to drive transformational change. We all come as equals, with unique talents to contribute and believe that we are better together.
- Labor for substantive change that will bring healing, peace, true community, and justice for all who call Kansas City home. I will do this by upholding a holistic vision of personal development through sports.
- Develop friendships and partnerships with other coaches, athletes, and parents of different demographics recognizing our nation’s founding principle that all people are created equal and should be treated fairly and with respect. I will learn from people outside of my culture in order to strengthen the sports community. These friendships are critical regardless of possible organizational competition. I will not use Unite KC to promote a personal agenda or profit from this process.
- Implement education on race and our countries’ history of race relations as a positive step in my organization.
- Create opportunities, resources, and minority leadership representation. Employing the role and relationships of coaches to parents & guardians, and athletes, I will work to foster greater opportunities and support of underserved communities. I will work to create opportunities through hiring practices and development pathways to support diversity amongst high-level leadership.
I commit to this Covenant of Reconciliation for the sake of my life, my organization, my fellow employees, and the Greater Kansas City community and to take a practical step in the Suggested Actions to make it real. When this journey becomes difficult, I commit to enduring through challenging days.
Your name and email address will be collected and added to a list to contact when new opportunities to serve arise in this domain.
Suggested Action Items
Pick One Good Thing and get started!
Freedom Hoops is cultivating disciples…on the court and 1-on-1 in pursuit of Every Court. Hope Found. Lives Changed.
- Regular Volunteering
- Program volunteers – Tuesdays/Thursdays at 2 PM; Saturdays at 10 AM (open gym)
- Professional Services
- HR – policy development
- Photographers and videographers – film and/or shoot pictures at programming and events
- Social Media
- Financial Support (Looking to fund the following positions)
- Rec Basketball Operations – oversee basketball operations of Freedom Hoops
- Woman Leadership – a woman who understands the city, desires to reach out to single moms, disciple young volunteer women, and prayerfully pursue female programming
- Admin support – perform tasks to carry out the ministry
Contact: Michael Loney – firstname.lastname@example.org
Kansas RBI’s mission is to enrich the lives of underserved Kansas and surrounding area youth with an emphasis on academic achievement, health & wellness, leadership, and responsibility through the use of athletics in a safe and supportive environment to develop our next generation of Major League Citizens.
Our anchor program, S.A.F.E, offers baseball/softball to inner-city youth through its Kansas Reviving Baseball in Inner Cities (Kansas RBI) program which has directed the activities of more than 6,200 players since its inception in 2010. Kansas RBI is the only little league in the state of Kansas affiliated with Major League Baseball & the Kansas City Royals
- Coaches- We are in need of volunteers who would be willing to coach a youth team during the summer months of June and July. Most players are new to the game and are in need of a coach who is patient and understanding.
- Interns- We are looking for high school (17-18) or college students interested in volunteer-based baseball-related internships.
- Build a Field- We are looking for a company to partner with to build a little league field on the property we own. With the right group, it could be done extremely cheaply over a weekend and make an impact that lasts a lifetime. Could possibly be a project that a group within UNITE KC could partner to help with. If we build it they will come.
- Fundraiser Guidance- Due to the current pandemic raising funds has been extremely difficult but we remain driven and determined. We are looking for guidance on how we could tell our story to a broader audience which would help us be able to host bigger fundraisers. We are a volunteer-based organization that has a track record of developing major league citizens we just need help sharing our story with hopes of getting help continuing our goal of giving hope to the hopeless.
- Donations- We are hosting a fundraiser on December 5th which will help us provide baseball to kids who cannot afford our registration fee next season. Attendance and participation are needed.
Contact: Tom Witter – email@example.com – 913-982-6334
The Kansas City MLB Urban Youth Academy is a non-profit organization with the mission to empower Kansas City’s underserved youth ages 6-18 through baseball and softball, academic and social opportunities to be the leaders of tomorrow. The vision for the Academy is to become the epicenter for youth baseball and softball throughout the Midwest, beginning with the urban community and its location in the backyard of the historical 18th & Vine District.
- Current needs
- Volunteer Coaches to help with our Winter training sessions through the week of December 14th.
- Monday Night Softball (8-18) 6-8 pm
- Tuesday (9-12) and Thursday (13-18) Night Baseball 5:30 pm to 8:00 pm.
- Future Needs
- Volunteer Coaches for Winter II and Spring training sessions.
- Volunteer Coaches and Umpires for May, June League. Baseball and Softball. All leagues will be 12 and under.
Contact: Darwin Pennye – Darwin.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Program Volunteer – Help in the classroom and while members work through the SMARTS and Positive Action program materials.
- Job Shadowing – Help teens explore job opportunities through company tours and experiences following and observing experienced employees in desired fields.
- Life Coach Mentoring – Spend a few hours a month building a one-on-one bond with a teen member, helping with homework, shooting hoops, or just talking about life.
- Skills Sharing – Share your technical knowledge in one of our Clubs’ Makerspace Technology Labs and/or recording studios.
- Event Support – Support our major fundraising initiatives by volunteering at one or more events throughout the year, helping with registration, greeting guests, table support, and more.
- RBI Coach and Sports Coaching – Invest in the lives of youth by coaching them in the value of teamwork, responsibility, good sportsmanship, and self-esteem.
- Academic Tutoring – Pick your favorite classroom subject and help kids work through their schoolwork.
Contact: Ronnie Stevenson – 816-447-2449
- Contact: Nancy and Gordon Beaham
- Email applications: email@example.com
- Volunteer – The Police Athletic League of Kansas City provides a safe haven and positively connects with the youth of Kansas City thanks to the efforts of our dedicated volunteers. Volunteering is a great opportunity to have a lasting impact on our children. PAL volunteers provide direct help to our programs, raise needed funds, support special events and serve on our board of directors.
Contact: Sgt. Skip Cox – 816-413-3515 – firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact: Michael Rose-Ivey – 816-876-0740
Contact: Michael Cobbins – email@example.com